Friday, November 14, 2003

During my work (at Fort Langley) I regularly lead school groups of various ages on tours around the fort. Yesterday I was leading a group of 5 and 6 year olds through the carpenter's shop and was showing them the various tools.
I came across the "lady's axe" and asked the kids why it was called such a thing (it's called that because the head of the axe actually looks like a lady's dress). As usual, kids threw out the typical random guesses; "because it's light?" and "because ladies use it?"

Then there was one girl in the back... her hand straight up in the air. I could already tell that she was confident with her answer. "Finally," I said, "I think she has the answer."

Everyone turned to look back at her, and for a split second she held back her answer to have that little grasp of control over the group (a leader in the making). Then, triumphantly, she declared "BECAUSE IT'S PERFECT!"

I'm glad the adults started laughing... because I didn't know what to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home