Thursday, January 27, 2005

For those willing to learn,

My favourite rapper, The Ol' Dirty Bastard, died a few weeks back. And throughout these years, I have quoted him verbally and in prose.

Back in the day when the Kwyjibo Classic was an email newsletter (starting in the autumn of '98), I discovered alot of my fellow readers were not well adapted to the language of ebonics, which, like english, used the characters from the roman alphabet. Most of the words too were taken from english as well, only distorted slightly, or spelled exactly the same, yet meaning something completely different.

I loved ODB because he spoke in metaphors, much like the rest of his entourage, the Wu-Tang Clan.

the following is quite possibly Ol' Dirty Bastard's greatest song. The blue text in italics are the lyrics, and the writing underneath is the deciphering of it in plain old english. enjoy:

Shimmy shimmy ya, shimmy yam, shimmy yay
Look at me, I'm so happy, I am producing onomatopaeic sounds that describe my feelings for you
Gimme the mic so i can take it away
Allow me to perform in front of you and become the centre of your attention
Off on a natural charge, bon voyage
Although you may not believe me, at the current moment, my reactions are not drug-induced. I am on a "natural high" and there is nothing you can do to bring me back from this state of happiness
Yeah, from the home of the Dodgers, Brooklyn squad
Yes, I come from Brooklyn, New York, which was formerly the home of Major League Baseball's infamous Dodgers team, which has now moved to Los Angeles. A majority of my friends with whom I also spend a great deal of time with are from my hometown of Brooklyn as well.
Wu-Tang Killa Bees on a swarm
I am from a musical group that has taken it's name from old Chinese martial arts films that we grew up watching as children on the local multicultural channels. And similar to the Africanized honey bees invading North America, and who have no natural enemies (aside from cold weather) on this hemisphere, my co-workers and I will spread out our messages to you, the public, with ease.
Rain on yo' college-ass disco-dorm
Those of you living on the campuses of post-secondary institutions are probably already familiar with my work, as I appear to have a massive fan following there. Why, there is probably a student somewhere out there at this moment who is planning a party in their dorm on the weekend and as burning a few pirated copies of my songs on their hit-list cds.
For you to even touch my skill
To the many aspiring singers who attempt to imitate my technique and style, be forewarned
You'd rather f*%! this one killer bee
I will not be pleased with your attempts. However, out of my musical group, I am probably the friendliest person you shall meet. Perhaps we could turn our meeting into a healthy relationship and see where things will go from there.
'Cause he ain't gonna kill
Although I may get angry with you, I am not abusive. I prefer to talk things out first as i find words can be quite powerful.
Now chop that down
I am aware that you will probably quote me in future conversations, taking specific lyrics from songs that have had a profound effect on you
Pass it all around
Please share these lyrics and thoughts with your friends. Converse with one another and debate on the metaphorical meanings of my poems.
My lyrics get hard, quick cement to the ground
Do not, however, claim that these statements are your own. Because that is seen as a form of plagiarism and due to my contract obligations with the producers of my songs and albums, my lyrics are coppywritten immediately so as to give me the upper hand in winning legal battles if i do so choose to take you to the court of law.
I'll take any M.C. in any 52-states
My lyrics are greater than any other rapper of my style in the entire United States of America, so is my on-stage presence
I get psycho killa, Norman Bates
My performances cannot be comprehended, much like the mind of a serial killer. I must be seen to be believed, so please purchase a ticket to one of my upcoming shows.
Now my producer slams
The man who assists me in creating my songs (ie. finding the music and arranging film times for my videos, as well as marketing to my proper target audience) is unbelievably talented.
Goes like "BAM"
Ever since he has worked alongside me, my fame has skyrocketed extremely fast, similar to a gunshot, I would like to take this time to dedicate this song to him
Jump on stage, I wanna get down!
Now please, everybody, join me as I dance in happiness. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

So there you have it, I hope this has helped you in understanding the true meanings of Russel Jones.

aka. The Ol' Dirty Bastard.

"ain't no father to your style"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Did you actually translate all of those by yourself!? That's awesome either way! Ebonic are fun! You should teach a class on it! I will surely join! So I can get "down, with the homies, yo! You dig?!" hahaha...Can't wait to read more of your stuff! Check out my blog too when you have a chance! www.carolinethinking.blogspot.com OK...Bye! Caroline Ogawa

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home